Roof Concern: Missing Shingles
Type of Concern: Urgent
Cause of Concern:
It’s pretty obvious that when you are missing shingles, your home is susceptible to the elements. Even a shingle or two that is missing can create a big problem for your home. Water can get in and damage your roof decking, attic, drywall and more, especially if the felt/ paper underneath the shingles is damaged.
There a variety of causes as to why your shingles were blown off. Here are a few for starters:
- Improper nailing can lead to shingles being able to be swept away by the wind.
- Tar strips don’t congeal due to cold weather installation.
- Low grade of shingle that doesn’t withstand strong winds.
- An aged roof where the entire system needs to be replaced.
Course of Action: You have two options for the repair:
1. You can choose to DIY your missing shingles. If you’re into the DIY thing here is a good YouTube video (courtesy of house-improvements.com) that will show you what you need to do. Please do be careful when you are up on your roof and take the proper safety precautions.
2. Hire a contractor to fix the missing shingles. If you have an older roof, we would suggest that you find a professional to complete the repair and survey the overall damage. Who knows, maybe your whole roofing system is in such bad shape that it needs to be replaced before the next big wind storm.
Do you think you need a contractor? Check Angie’s List or google plus for a list of contractors in your area that can help you with your roof repair!