5 Summer Ladder Safety Tips (The Last One is the Best)
Hopefully you’ve taken care of your summer roof maintenance. If you’re like a lot of us, you haven’t gotten to it yet. If you have not, now is the time to do it! This way, you still have time to call a contractor if your roof needs special attention before the winter! Before you do get up on that roof let’s review some ladder safety.
1. Make sure you have the proper ladder for the job. If you only have a half step ladder and need a full 6ft one? Go find a 6-foot ladder. Need an extension ladder to get to the second story? Go find one of those as well.
2. Make ladder is set up on an even surface. One slight off balanced step and your ladder can topple over when a ladder is set on an even surface. I am sure you can imagine what can happen if the ladder isn’t set up properly.
3. Wear shoes that are dry with soles that have good traction. This prevents slipping off the roof or the ladder.
4. Do not use ladders in storms or you may get blown away with Dorothy and her little dog too.
And Here’s the Best Tip:
5. Only get on a ladder when you are sober!
Yup, we went there… We figure that one is self-explanatory.
Don’t rush your maintenance. Set up your ladder properly and use common sense. There’s no reason to haphazardly get on your roof to fall due to an improper set up.
Need a reminder of what roofing maintenance you should do? Check here for our summer maintenance list.